Flowers really do intoxicate me. ~Vita Sackville-West

Beautiful Bleeding Heart

Beautiful Bleeding Heart

Monday, April 5, 2010

Summer in April!





Wow! What a few summer days at the beginning of April will do for a garden. One week ago, it was on the verge of snowing and then the temperatures jumped into the 80s and shocked the plants to life! Over the course of 3 days, daffodils, tulips and hyacinths all bloomed and many other plants started to leaf out and show signs of life. I took advantage of the weather to transplant some columbine and Feverfew that had transplanted themselves in unusual locations and to edge and weed all of my gardens. I bought some pansies and planted them in a pot around my bird bath and then sat back and enjoyed the sunshine! I started some vegetables as well in my square foot gardens. I planted 4 Buttercrunch lettuce and about 12 plants each of Rainbow Swiss Chard and spinach. Luckily these vegetables love the cooler temperatures of spring, which will return to Western NY by week's end. This shot of early summer did wonders for the plants and mental status of sun and heat starved Western New Yorkers.

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't that peak at 82 fabulous?!? I planted all of my spring bulbs last fall, so they're still a little sleepy, but there is green everywhere. I'm so glad I found another WNY gardener. Can't wait to read your updates ... I'm your newest follower! Best, Artie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Artie! Do you garden in a large space, small space, urban, rural garden?

    ReplyDelete